What Is the Oval Hole on Computer Hardware For?


For the most part, it is no mystery what the various openings on the outside of our computer hardware are for—most are ports. But what about that oval port that doesn’t match your usual cables? Sometimes it has a “lock” symbol next to it; other times it doesn’t. Today’s SuperUser Q&A post has the answer to a curious reader’s question.

Today’s Question & Answer session comes to us courtesy of SuperUser—a subdivision of Stack Exchange, a community-driven grouping of Q&A web sites.

The Question

SuperUser reader Vahn wants to know what the hole with a lock symbol on the back of his monitor is for:

When I inspected my monitor (a Samsung Syncmaster SA100), I found a hole with a lock symbol on the back of it (pictured below).


What is this? What is the function of this hole?

What is the hole with a lock symbol on the back of his monitor for?

The Answer

SuperUser contributor Mate Juhasz has the answer for us:

It is called a Kensington Lock, or Kensington Security Slot, and it provides an attachment point for a cable to prevent your monitor (or a laptop as seen in the picture below) from being moved or stolen.

Source: Wikipedia


Have something to add to the explanation? Sound off in the comments. Want to read more answers from other tech-savvy Stack Exchange users? Check out the full discussion thread here.

Image Credit: William Hook/Flickr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *